It’s the chicken before the egg dilemma of career advancement. How does a person gain experience while not in the role they seek when aspiring up the proverbial career ladder? In today’s episode featuring Adam Cottos, we tackle the issue many aspiring leaders face.
In this Episode, we discuss:
- The challenges Adam has faced in gaining experience for administrative positions
- Strategies has used to communicate his experience to prospective employers
- Suggested ways to navigate hearing no, gaining authentic feedback, and seeking out mentors with similar experience
About Adam Cottos:
Adam W. Cottos is an educator in the greater Cleveland area. He is married and enjoys spending time with his wife, family, and golfing. He is currently a 4th and 5th grade teacher at Communion of Saints School in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. He has worked at the high school and elementary grade levels for over the past 10 years. He has worked with a diverse group of students which has allowed him to develop a greater passion for education. His large focus this year will be on Social and Emotional Learning. He has received his Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Arts degree from Cleveland State University. He has also received his Master of Educational Administration from Cleveland State University and has his principal certificate. He has been a presenter at the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) conference as well as the winner of the Social Media Influencer contest hosted by NCEA. He is currently a Teach Better Ambassador.
Follow Adam Cottos:
Interested in being a guest on Aspire to Rise? We would love to hear from you here.
Follow the Hosts,
- Sarah’s Website
- Sarah on Twitter
- Sarah on IG
- Sarah on LinkedIn
- Sarah on Facebook
- Podcast Website
- Subscribe to the In AWE Podcast
- Join Sarah’s FREE Five Day Going Beyond Balance Challenge:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/Joshua__Stamper
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/joshua__stamper
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/joshua-stamper
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AspirePodcast
- Subscribe: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/aspire-the-leadership-development-podcast/id1384210762?mt=2
This post contains affiliate links.
When you make a purchase through these links, The Aspire Podcast gets a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Need a Presenter for a conference or school PD?
Contact Joshua Stamper for presentations on Restorative Practices, Leadership Development, Aspiring Leadership, and many more.
Contact Sarah Johnson for presentations on Going Beyond Balance, Leadership Foundations, Affirming Purpose, and many more.
Review the Podcast
The ranking of this show is 100% tied to subscriptions and reviews. You can help me reach more school leaders by subscribing to the show and leaving an honest rating and review on your favorite podcast platform.